Virtual Auditory Display System
What is gVirtual Auditory Display SystemhH
A perceived position of sound image can be controlled by convolving HRTFs (Head-Related Transfer Functions)
to the sound source at arbitrary position.
We call this system gVirtual Auditory Display (VAD).h
We research that establishing a high accuracy VAD system and its application to welfare.
A high accuracy VAD system
To accomplish a high accuracy VAD system, we research following techniques.
- Choose the best fitted set of HRTFs
- Presentation of sound responsive to head movement
- Sound effect of reflection and reverberation
In VAD responsive to head movement,
HRTFs are controlled by detecting the head movement with a position sensor.
Therefore, the sound image doesn't move even if the listener moves.
Expressing an accurate three-dimensional sound image is possible
by using individualized HRTFs.
Application for Visually Impaired People
For the visually impaired people,
information provided by sound is particularly important in recognizing their surroundings.
We aim to construct a system
which can train spatial perception of three-dimensional sound space
for visually impaired people using high-accurate VAD technology.
The training system has been developed as game contents for improvement of
QoL (Quality of life) of visually impaired people.
Features of Our System
- High-precision sound field : High-reality of 3D sound space is realized by our technologies.
- Low cost performance : Digital signal processing for creation of 3D sound space is realized as middleware.
Special hardware is not required, such as a DSP board.
- A high-accuracy position sensor is originally developed.
- Enjoyable Applications : Characteristic applications like game are developed.